Ever wonder the cost of solo traveling in expensive cities like Hong Kong? Fret not as I’ll be posting here my travel expenses plus some tips while being on a budget in Macau and Hong Kong.
Some money-saving travel tips:
- Utilize the shuttle provided by hotels/casinos while in Macau
I stayed in Ka Meng Villa in Macau as it is walking distance from Senado Square and other spots. If my flight was not delayed for 30 minutes, I could board the Wynn Macau Shuttle from the airport and walk for about 15 minutes. The damage? 98 HKD
- Stay in Hong Kong and have a 1-day trip to Macau instead
There’s no hostel in Macau. Compare if the cost of 1 night in a hostel in HK plus the ferry fare is cheaper than 1 night stay in Macau. Travel time is only for about 1 hour, and ferries leave every 30 minutes.
- Befriend your neighborly convenience store
My meal and snack while in Disneyland already took half of my meal expenses for 5 days. Not good, dude.
My checklist when looking for a hostel:
- Proximity to bus stop/metro station
- Neighboring buildings/communities
- Hotel reviews
- Proximity to restaurants
- Budget per meal for those restaurants
- Cheapaz option (aka alternative to restaurants)
- Check the weather and bring appropriate clothes
Just when I thought my Asian body can handle 15 degrees Celsius, the Universe laughed at me and decided to further drop the temperature to 10 (and sometimes less than 10) degrees Celsius. Cost of defrosting my frozen fingers by drinking hot choco and coffee – HKD 95.00
- Walk, walk, walk
Hong Kong has a good transportation system. They also have better sidewalks for walking. If you’re fit, having walking tours in Hong Kong and Macau will save you lots of moolah and keep your body fit. Two birds with one stone, right?